Firstbeat is the leading provider of physiological analytics for sports and well-being. We transform heartbeat data into personalized information on exercise, stress and recovery. Hundreds of elite sports teams, wellness professionals, and millions of consumers worldwide trust Firstbeat to enhance performance and well-being.
Firstbeat was founded in 2002 in Jyväskylä, which is the hub of sports sciences of Finland with the University and physiology labs. Our mission is to use physiology and science to unlock human potential in health, performance and productivity.
When it comes to health and performance, we want to help people to be at their best. Our story began 20 years ago, when our founders combined physiological science with mathematics to understand the language of the heart. They wanted to discover how this knowledge could help people to reach their life aspirations.
A breakthrough in a Finnish sports-sciences research lab revealed how heart rate variability (HRV) could be used to translate human physiology into a mathematical model. Research enabled us to create a window into our inner body functions, allowing us to map stress, recovery, and exercise performance. The innovative use of HRV evolved into the advanced performance analytics that Firstbeat provides today. This is how the science of human physiology stepped out of the labs and into everyday life.
We work ambitiously towards providing ever-better means for people to learn more about themselves. Today more than a thousand professional sports teams, millions of consumers, and employees in over 40 countries use Firstbeat analytics. We provide each of them with the science-backed confidence to help them reach their health and performance potential.
We’re all individuals, and what works for some, might not work for everyone. The answer has to come from within. With the right science backing you up, you can make confident choices.
You have it in you.
Awards and Nominations Granted for Firstbeat
Firstbeat has been awarded many times both nationally and internationally. In 2004, Firstbeat received the national INNOFINLAND Prize of the President of the Rebublic. Deloitte listed Firstbeat as one of the fastest growing Technology Companies in Finland three years in a row (2007-2009). Firstbeat was also one of the winners of Grow to USA 2017 -program of Kasvun Roihu and its logo was displayed in Nasdaq’s video screen in New York Time Square for one month.
- 2004: INNOFINLAND Price: Innovation Award for the Development of Heart Rate Variability Analysis Technology | President of the Republic of Finland
- 2005: The Most Successful University-based Start-up | Venture Cup
- 2007-2009: One of the Fastest Growing Finnish Technology Businesses | Deloitte
- 2014: Nomination – International Award of the Fitness, Wellness & Health Industry | FIBO Innovation Awards
- 2015: Nomination – The Most Innovative Healthcare Provider, Firstbeat’s partner Optima-Life | AXA PPP Health Tech and You award
- 2016: Finalist – Spark of Innovation category | UK Active Matrix Flame Awards
- 2016: Global Performance Award | The Central Finland Chamber of Commerce
- 2016: National Entrepreneurial Award | Yrittäjät, the Federation of Finnish Enterprises
- 2016: Finalist – Startup Europe Comes to Silicon Valley (SEC2SV) Event
- 2016: Finalist – Best Technology for Managers and Coaches | Sports Technology Awards
- 2017: Grow to USA-program | Kasvun Roihu Oy
- 2018: Winner Future Digital Awards – Smart Wearables | Juniper Research
- 2021: Innovation Award | Finnish Sports Gala