Real-time Training Guidance and Better Athlete Relationships – With Jaime Fernandez, University of Arizona Women’s Basketball – Ep. 16
Welcome to the Firstbeat Sports Podcast where we talk with coaches and sports scientists to explore the latest in performance monitoring and how it is making a difference in NCAA and pro sports alike. We’re going to connect you with practical advice from the best in the business to help you take your athletes to the next level.
On the line today is Jaime Fernandez. Jaime is the Assistant Director of Olympic Sports at the University of Arizona where he works specifically with the Wildcats Women’s Basketball program.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Importance of being persistent
- Role of technology in S&C
- Return to play protocol with Firstbeat Sports
- Team’s historical NCAA tournament
- Matching the intensity from games in drills
- Jaime’s background (1:16)
- Recruiting processes for Wildcats Women’s Basketball (9:11)
- Role of sports technology in strength & conditioning (11:50)
- How did the pandemic influence the current season? (13:50)
- Did being in the bubble make coaching easier or more difficult? (17:40)
- Playing Stanford in the NCAA Championship (19:46)
- Dealing with several canceled games back-to-back (20:34)
- Quickfire questions (22:38)
- What made Wildcats choose Firstbeat? (24:23)
- Most important Firstbeat Sports data points and features (25:20)
- Training load differences between positions on the court (28:12)
- How did athletes accept tracking training data? (29:21)
- Best advice for upcoming S&C coaches (30:25)
Thanks for listening. Follow us on socials and share your favorite episodes using #FirstbeatSportsPodcast:
Transcript available here (.pdf).
Catch up on all previous Firstbeat Sports Podcast episodes here!
Sacramento Kings Using “Intuitive” Firstbeat Sports in New NBA Season
The Sacramento Kings have introduced the Firstbeat Sports athlete monitoring solution ahead of the 2020-21 NBA season, giving them access to the most comprehensive physiological analytics in team sports. Firstbeat…
NCAA Basketball: The Practical Side of Recovery Monitoring
As part of the Firstbeat Sports webinar series, Sean Conaty of the University of Eastern Michigan delivered his insights into the practical side of using data to enhance performance for NCAA men’s basketball players.
The Role of the Modern Athletic Trainer – With Andy Bliz, Buffalo Men’s Basketball – Ep. 4
Andy Bliz discusses the role of an athletic trainer in DI sports, why he promotes a proactive rather than reactive approach to sports medicine, and the value of data in informing coaching decisions and the return to play protocol.