From Club Team to Big 10 Champions – With Cam Davidson, Penn State Ice Hockey – Ep. 15
Welcome to the Firstbeat Sports Podcast where we talk with coaches and sports scientists to explore the latest in performance monitoring and how it is making a difference in NCAA and pro sports alike. We’re going to connect you with practical advice from the best in the business to help you take your athletes to the next level.
On the line today is Cam Davidson. Cam is Assistant Director of Performance Enhancement at Penn State where he works with the ice hockey, volleyball and track & field programs.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- The journey from Club to Division 1 Ice Hockey
- S&C social media – the good and the bad
- The value of intensity data
- Honing elite talent and turning student-athletes pro
- Dealing with COVID-19 protocols
- Cam’s background (0:58)
- Path from Club to Division 1 Ice Hockey (6:06)
- How they successfully switched from Club to D1? (11:30)
- Social media in strength & conditioning community – good or bad? (14:22)
- Secret to getting 27 players to pro level in 8 years? (20:20)
- How has the Ice Hockey program dealt with COVID-19? (23:45)
- Quickfire questions (28:12)
- What made Cam choose Firstbeat (29:18)
- What advice Cam would tell new Firstbeat coaches (31:04)
- What metrics and data Penn State Ice Hockey focus on (33:10)
Thanks for listening. Follow us on socials and share your favorite episodes using #FirstbeatSportsPodcast:
Catch up on all previous Firstbeat Sports Podcast episodes here!
The German Ice Hockey Federation and Firstbeat have been in close partnership for many years. In this time, an effective routine for the use of the Firstbeat Sports system has…
Firstbeat Sports offers a diverse range of features available to meet the needs of teams of all levels during these trying times.
In this article, we look at how Training Effect is calculated, the Training Effect scale, and how it is visualized in Firstbeat Sports.