Using Data to Start Key Discussions With Your Athletes – With Jen Mavis, UMBC Soccer – Ep. 7
Welcome to the Firstbeat Sports Podcast where we talk with coaches and sports scientists to explore the latest in performance monitoring and how it is making a difference in NCAA and pro sports alike. We’re going to connect you with practical advice from the best in the business to help you take your athletes to the next level.
On the line today is Jen Mavis. Jen is Assistant Coach and Director of Camps and Clinics for UMBC Women’s Soccer. She has previously held positions at William & Mary and the University of Oklahoma.
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- The fundamentals of a successful soccer program?
- Building trust between coaches and athletes
- The growth of exercise science in soccer
- The ‘student’ element of a student-athlete
- Combining objective and subjective data
- Preventing soft tissue injuries
Would you like to listen to more content like this? Subscribe to our mailing list
- How Jen ended up at UMBC (1:05)
- The fundamentals for a successful college soccer program (1:40)
- Today’s student athletes vs when Jen was playing (2:27)
- Jen’s main coaching philosophies (3:32)
- Learning from mistakes to improve coaching (4:55)
- How college soccer has changed (6:08)
- Should the NCAA change the substitution rule? (7:34)
- Rapid fire questions (9:40)
- How UMBC Women’s Soccer use Firstbeat Sports (10:58)
- How UMBC apply Firstbeat’s Quick Recovery Test with their athletes (11:41)
- Athlete buy-in (13:40)
- HR data vs RPE questionnaire (16:11)
- Using sports technology with the new generation of athletes (18:05)
- Making training decisions from Firstbeat Sports data (18:32)
- TRIMP scores for different player positions (20:08)
- Weekly TRIMP scores UMBC aim for (21:05)
- Preventing soft-tissue injuries (22:20)
- The future of soccer in the U.S. (23:18)
Thanks for listening. Catch up on all previous Firstbeat Sports Podcast episodes here!
Give your team the Firstbeat Sports competitive advantage.
Contact us for more information or get a quote.
Real-time TRIMP/min: How to Use the Firstbeat Sports App Feature in Training
From replicating game intensity to aiding player rehab, monitoring TRIMP/min has wide-ranging benefits.
Interpreting Acute vs Chronic Training Load – A Firstbeat Sports Feature
A comprehensive breakdown of the Acute vs Chronic Training Load feature in Firstbeat Sports.
Training Status: the Balance of Training for an Individual Athlete
A comprehensive breakdown of the Training Status feature in Firstbeat Sports.