Supporting Players During COVID-19 – With Stephen Volek, Head S&C Coach, Binghamton Devils – Ep. 14
Welcome to the Firstbeat Sports Podcast where we talk with coaches and sports scientists to explore the latest in performance monitoring and how it is making a difference in NCAA and pro sports alike. We’re going to connect you with practical advice from the best in the business to help you take your athletes to the next level.
On the line today is Stephen Volek. Stephen is the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Binghamton Devils, the top minor league affiliate of the NHL’s New Jersey Devils.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- How the team is adapting during the Coronavirus pandemic
- Training programs during grueling AHL schedule
- Strategies for low game minute players
- Collaborating with the New Jersey Devils
- Position-specific data – what it shows
Would you like to listen to more content like this? Subscribe to our mailing list
- Stephen’s background (0:54)
- How has Coronavirus affected Binghamton Devils (2:43)
- What Athlete Management System do Devils use (4:02)
- Main differences between college and pro sports S/C programming (5:40)
- Cal Dietz’ triphasic programming (7:48)
- Building training program during busy in-season schedule (8:38)
- Balancing high-minute and low-minute players (10:04)
- Collaborating with New Jersey Devils (11:35)
- Quickfire round (13:12)
- Differences with Firstbeat implementation at Yale and Binghamton Devils (14:45)
- How the Devils use Firstbeat (16:21)
- How to present Firstbeat data to head coach (17:53)
- TRIMP differences per position and game data (19:07)
- Firstbeat buy-in from players (22:08)
- Stephen’s best advice for new S/C coaches (23:43)
Thanks for listening. Follow us on socials and share your favorite episodes using #FirstbeatSportsPodcast:
Catch up on all previous Firstbeat Sports Podcast episodes here!
Give your team the Firstbeat Sports competitive advantage.
Contact us for more information or get a quote.
Remote Training in Challenging Circumstances
Firstbeat Sports offers a diverse range of features available to meet the needs of teams of all levels during these trying times.
Princeton Rowing Use New Firstbeat and Garmin Health Solution for Effective Remote Training
With the current postponement of most sports competitions and the disruption of traditional training methods, some teams are adjusting to the ‘new normal’ by using innovative solutions based on Garmin…
Training During the Coronavirus Pandemic – with Martin Spohrer, Eintracht Frankfurt – Ep. 13
The Eintracht Frankfurt Strength and Conditioning coach discusses the changes to training and procedure caused by the Coronavirus pandemic, keeping players engaged, and how he acclimatizes new signings to ‘Bundesliga fitness’.