5 Consecutive Championship Wins and the Growth of NCAA Ice Hockey – With Katie Delude, Northeastern University Women’s Ice Hockey – Ep. 17
Welcome to the Firstbeat Sports Podcast where we talk with coaches and sports scientists to explore the latest in performance monitoring and how it is making a difference in NCAA and pro sports alike. We’re going to connect you with practical advice from the best in the business to help you take your athletes to the next level.
In this episode, we’re chatting with Katie Delude. Katie is Head Athletic Trainer at Northeastern University where she works with the women’s ice hockey team who have won five championships in a row since 2018.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- How Katie and her team use Firstbeat’s data
- The state of college hockey and its future
- To ice or not to ice injuries
- What is the most useful Firstbeat metric for Katie
- Getting the most out of data with teamwork
- Katie’s background (1:06)
- Katie’s research projects (4:40)
- Secret sauce behind Northeastern Ice Hockey’s continuous success (7:35)
- Adjusting training decisions based on data findings (9:21)
- Is social media helping or hurting the coaching and rehab field? (11:18)
- What work aspects does coordinator of care entail? (12:45)
- Dealing with over half the spots to fill in a roster (15:42)
- Northeastern’s recruiting focus (16:33)
- Is it worth icing injuries anymore? (19:30)
- Quickfire questions (20:36)
- Changes in Firstbeat utilization between first season and latest season (22:53)
- Have the coaching staff ever worn a Firstbeat sensor during a game? (25:17)
- Goalie heart-rate data (27:08)
- Process of getting heart-rate data to coaches and players (28:33)
- The future of college hockey (29:44)
- Getting the most out of the data with teamwork (32:18)
Thanks for listening. Follow us on socials and share your favorite episodes using #FirstbeatSportsPodcast:
Catch up on all previous Firstbeat Sports Podcast episodes here!
The French Ice Hockey Federation (FFHG) has announced that it will continue its partnership with Firstbeat Sports’ athlete monitoring solution for use with their senior and junior Women’s National Teams….
Welcome to the Firstbeat Sports Podcast where we talk with coaches and sports scientists to explore the latest in performance monitoring and how it is making a difference in NCAA…
Managing Athlete Well-Being & Performance – With Michael Vaughan, Merrimack Women’s Ice Hockey Ep. 2
Michael Vaughan, the Director of Women’s Ice Hockey Operations at Merrimack College, talks about the importance of load management with student-athletes.